How To Create a Basic Leading Grid in a PageMaker Document
A grid provides consistency for the placement of design objects. A grid based on body text leading helps baselines and other elements line up easily in a multi-column layout. This simple how-to describes how to create a basic leading grid in Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 for Windows.
- Set the leading value of your body text. Do not use Auto leading.
- Select File | Preferences from the menu bar.
- In the Preferences dialog box, set the Measurement system option to Picas.
- In the pulldown box for the Vertical Ruler select Custom then enter your body text leading value in the points field. Click OK.
- Select View | Snap to Rulers (Alt^R) so that elements you place on the page will automatically snap to the leading grid.
- If you are more comfortable working in inches, you could leave the Measurements in inches for the horizontal ruler but you’ll still need to set the vertical ruler to points (it will display in picas but snap to the leading value).
- This basic leading grid works for publications that use the same grid throughout. To use multiple grids use Utilities | Plug-ins | Grid Manager.