Building a Forum with Dreamweaver – Part 4: Creating the Link to the Reply Form
Creating the Link to the Reply Form
The page used for replying to messages is called reply_message.php. Users can access it from the view_message.php page by clicking a Reply To Message link. To create this link, follow these steps:
- Open the view_message.php page in Dreamweaver.
Look for the text “Reply to this message” and select it.
The link will be displayed after each message. It must point to the reply_message.php page. The link must also pass the following parameters:
- Topic ID:
- Message ID:
- Initial message ID:
To create the link, right-click the selected text and choose Make Link from the menu.
Select the reply_message.php page and then click the Parameters button to define the URL parameters mentioned above:
- Click the Plus (+) button to add a new parameter.
- Enter id_top for the name of the first parameter.
To specify a value, click the lightning bolt icon and then select the
idtop_msgfield of the rsMessages recordset (see Figure 1).
Repeat the steps above to add the other two parameters. They must be configured as follows:
- For the message ID, enter id_msg for the parameter name and select the
id_msgfield as its value.
- For the initial message ID, enter id_init_msg for the parameter name and select the
id_init_msgfield for its value.
The Parameters dialog box should be configured as shown in Figure 2.
Next you will build the reply form.